sauraly

Poison Study
Maria V. Snyder
Looks Over
Rose Christo
Networking for People Who Hate Networking: A Field Guide for Introverts, the Overwhelmed, and the Underconnected
Devora Zack
The Old Man and the Sea
Ernest Hemingway
The Virgin Suicides
Jeffrey Eugenides

American Psycho

American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis I was undecided about what rating to give American Psycho, but thinking about the last 200 pages of the novel, I decided one star was more than enough. The first half of the book was really great. I loved reading Patrick Bateman describing every character’s outfits, and their superficial lifestyle really was visible through the characters’ actions and the things they talk about (clothes, women, more clothes, other people). But the gore just got out of hand about 200 pages into the novel. I’m sure the author’s point could have come across without all those painfully detailed description about decapitation and torture. I saw no point in many of those scenes, and seriously, that whole chapter named ‘Tries to cook and eat a girl’, had no point other than being ‘edgy and daring’ or whatever. What was the point of that? It’s a shame, because there was real potential here that just fell flat.