sauraly

Poison Study
Maria V. Snyder
Looks Over
Rose Christo
Networking for People Who Hate Networking: A Field Guide for Introverts, the Overwhelmed, and the Underconnected
Devora Zack
The Old Man and the Sea
Ernest Hemingway
The Virgin Suicides
Jeffrey Eugenides

Procrastination: Why You Do It, What to Do About it Now

Procrastination: Why You Do It, What to Do about It Now - Jane B. Burka, Lenora M. Yuen, Sandra Burr This book was an eye-opener. The things the authors talk about seem obvious, but for some reason one never think about the problem of procrastination that way. I've been dealing with procrastination since high school. Before that, I could do everything on time and did my house chores too without putting them off. But then high school happened. High school was disruptive in many ways for me, and I developed a habit of putting things off, because I wanted to spend my time differently. Instead of doing homework I would read comics, books or watch tv. Often I would be doing something else while studying because I just couldn't concentrate on my work for long without feeling a lot of negative emotions, so putting it off was a defense mechanism of sorts.Back to the book. What it basically says is, procrastination has nothing to do with being bad at planning a schedule - many are really good at the planning part. It's the following through that's difficult. And it's not one's fault or something to be ashamed of. It's just the way our brains work right now due to some issue or other. For example: Being unable to face rejection or failure, one puts off working on an important assignment because one wants it to be perfect - and he/she hasn't worked out how to go about doing that yet. When the time comes where one MUST start on the assignment, the procrastinator finishes it quickly and in the last minute - it isn't perfect, but the procrastinator gets to comfort him/her-self with: 'If I had more time, it would have been perfect' or 'look how great I did with what little time I had. If I'd started early it would have been perfect.' So those people procrastinate because they are perfectionists and fear that they might not perform as perfectly as they want - so they create all these excuses for themselves. There were other reasons for procrastination in the book: for example wanting control back in ones life, fear of success, ADD or executional disfunction. In the other half f the book the writers discuss ways in which one can overcome procrastination. There's no quick or easy fix, I'm afraid, but many of the suggestions seem helpful and I'm going to start working on them.I reccommend this book to anyone dealing with procrastination because it has a great and new perspective that I haven't seen before in any book about procrastination (and I've read/skimmed a few).